Saturday 3 October 2015

Essence of a gift

I was talking to my friend's six year old daughter yesterday. It was her birthday and I asked her what gift she would like. She paused for a second and goes, " Do you remember the set of paint-on stickers you had bought me earlier? I want those. They are so lovely, and I love painting on them"  I was quite surprised by this request. We are very close and this little girl was well within her rights to ask me whatever it is she wished for and I'd have bought it for her But no, she asked for a simple set of stickers that you can effectively get in any supermarket.


This really had me thinking the whole day! It is true ! Children don't really treasure gifts based on its monetary value. They cherish them for the simple purpose that someone got them a gift!!

If we are this way as kids, then when did we start turning into these strategic, manipulative adults who equate each gift to the amount of affection bestowed? 
" My boyfriend got me only got me a pair earrings for my birthday! " 
" My husband didn't buy me the diamond necklace i was looking for!" 
" My wife got me some tools that I already own!"

Gifts are supposed to be a way of showing someone that you care, that you saw something and thought of them - not the other way around! We should be able to take the time to think about what we want to gift someone for their birthday, anniversary, Christmas or any occasion. It is all about the thought and effort that goes into it rather than the cost. This cycle doesn't stop here. When we receive a gift, we try to figure out its monetary value because when the giftee becomes the gifter, we think we need to return in the same value or higher! Why? I mean why is there so much complications surrounding something as simple as a gesture of affection?

Businesses around the gifting industry is booming, no matter what the economic situation and we are getting sucked into that.

And do you know, what is worse, we are emulating by example so our children start learning these from us. They start taking it one step further and thing that they are entitled to gifts, not just on birthdays but on any day they please!

My request to all of us, let the childish innocence continue. Take the time to draw a card for your mother, father or anybody you love. Take the effort to search for that old book your sister was looking for. Take the time to stop buy and give your brother his guitar in person. And when you see  their eyes genuinely sparkle on opening your gift, you would know in your heart that it was indeed  beautiful and conveyed the essence of your heart!

1 comment:

ISVELAN said...

Very nice indeed. Gift is a gift